Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Blowin' in the Wind



One of my all-time favorite youtube clips is from the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, aired on Feb 19th, 1969. It's of Glen and Stevie Wonder sitting down together at a white grand piano, Glen with his guitar, and pure magic happens. The song is "Blowin' in the Wind" by Bob Dylan, and the soul that they both put into those five minutes is incredible. I have watched this clip hundreds of times, and every single time I weep. 

Part of it is that these are two supremely talented musicians, both with voices of gold, and the two of them together is pure bliss. Part of it is the amazing lyrics of the song by Bob Dylan. And part of it is that Glen and Stevie, in that moment, are living the message of the song they are singing. A white man and a black man sitting together to make music aired on national television in 1969, asking the question "How many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesn't see?".
Sometimes I weep because it seems that nothing has changed in the world since when that song was written and since that great moment in television history. Sometimes I weep because I don't have words to express my sadness with the world. And sometimes I weep because I'm inspired; inspired to work hard to be the change I want to see in the world. There is always work to be done.

All of this brings me back to this video time and time again. It reminds me that music can do amazing things: break down barriers of color, age, class, religion...you name it. And it helps to keep me inspired to do my part in breaking those barriers down.

Want some inspiration: check out the link below for the video!


No comments:

Post a Comment