Friday, December 9, 2016

Feeling Closer to God Through Music



I'm writing this blog post tonight, Thursday evening, following an exciting rehearsal at Fountain Baptist in preparation for the Gospel Christmas concert that we are presenting together. And when I wake up in the morning, I will be getting ready to play a children's concert at Central, for which the last couple of times more than 100 kids have attended. Each event is totally different, but both are the same in purpose...bringing people together. One brings together the children of the community, from different nursery schools (as well as adults!), to sit together for 30 minutes and enjoy a story and some music. The other brings together our two congregations, their music programs, and the community at large as everyone gathers together to enjoy utterly amazing music. 

Both are opportunities for neighbors and friends to be together. Both are opportunities for differences to be forgotten. In each of those events, music and fellowship are the primary focus, and both are chances to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the season. 

I feel very grateful that we at Central can present these kinds of outreach events, because these events are what make me the most proud of my role here. When people can gather, regardless of race, gender, age and sexual orientation, and enjoy music, and perhaps feel closer to God because if it...that's when I feel like my work has true meaning.

-Dr. Charity Wicks, Director of Music Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment