Thursday, February 16, 2017

Love



Love. The month of February is particularly full of it, with Valentine's Day, and for our family, Cora's birthday! Yes, she's now one! 

Wikipedia defines love as "a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes that ranges from interpersonal affection to pleasure". And we all know that there are many different kinds of love. But the "attitude" part of that definition is what I've been thinking about for the past few days. Perhaps it is because I was gifted with the name Charity (thanks Mom and Dad!), or perhaps because of nature (my DNA), or perhaps because of nurture (thanks again Mom and Dad!)...but to me, love is what I strive to live and breathe every day. It is an attitude, a way to be. Don't get me wrong, plenty of things can make me mad and a bit love-less, but most of the time, it is the things that are done with complete disrespect to love that upset me the most...those things done in the name of hate and done to divide. I see these things happen, and I think, these people must not know love, or perhaps they once did, but have forgotten it. And my heart breaks, and I get sad...but I also feel even more vigor to love harder and fuller, because there are clearly holes where love is missing in the world. 

What if we all loved a bit harder and a bit stronger, especially now, following in the footsteps of Jesus who preached love above everything else? What could we do in the world?

-Dr. Charity Wicks

No comments:

Post a Comment