Friday, March 17, 2017

Expectation and Disappointment



Do you know that feeling when you are expecting or anticipating something, and then something else comes your way? This last snowstorm that we had felt like that particularly following a week that was really nice. I LOVE snow, and don't mind the cold one bit...but when you are teased with something that you love even more (spring!), it's a pretty difficult blow. Spring will eventually come, and this is par for the course, but it has lead me to think a bit about expectations and disappointments. 

It's easy to get excited about something you think may soon happen, and very good for our psyches. But what happens to us when we are disappointed? I know that sometimes when I feel disappointed, I start to think, well, why bother getting excited in the first place. And of course, one approach to life is to never get excited about potential things, for fear of disappointment, but I truly believe that disappointment and let downs are just as important to experience as fulfillment and successes. The disappointments teach us how to adapt, how to deal with less than our ideal, and how to relate to others. Think for a minute if Jesus had let fear of disappointment get in his way - I mean, that's a humbling thought. He was dealt arguably the biggest let down ever, crucifixion, and he persevered and gave his life. That certainly makes me pause and realize that my disappointments are really just a blip in my story called life, and are what ultimately make me who I am. So I'll embrace them fully, and continue to stay excited for possibilities, even if they are never guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment