Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Little Children



I just got back from watching the end of the year programs put on by the children of our Weekday Nursery School and Kindergarten. They were wonderful! And as I watched those precious children singing about Mommy and Daddy in a room filled with Mommies and Daddies, not to mention Grandma’s and Grandpa’s, I couldn’t help but remember that exactly one week before, I was watching the Broadway musical, Dear Evan Hansen. Evan Hansen is a 17 year old boy who is isolated and filled with self-doubt. As the backstory goes, his parents divorced when he was 7, his father moving away and starting a new family. Evan grew up being largely ignored by his father. And as the story unfolds onstage, you can’t help but wonder how that experience impacted him. And as I stood here at Central today, I couldn’t help but be struck by how precious these children are, entrusted to our care and worth everything that we can muster to support, to nurture, to see and to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment